Somewhere on Kazakhstan’s vast steppe, about halfway between Almaty and the new capital in Astana, a statue of Soviet founder Vladimir Lenin stands alone, staring at a vacant old military facility and the empty horizon. The forlorn monument is one of many Soviet relics at the Sary Shagan Polygon, a partially abandoned missile testing range on the west bank of Lake Balkhash.
Established in 1956, Sary Shagan hosted tens of thousands of Soviet military personnel and their families during the height of the Cold War, when Moscow and the United States raced to build anti-ballistic missiles and nuclear weapons. After the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, when the area lost most of its financial support, many residents, especially non-Kazakhs, left. Homes and military buildings were abandoned along the Balkhash lakeshore. The polygon remains active, though: Some of the territory is still leased to the Russian Army, and both Kazakh and Russian military personnel are stationed in the area.
To read the full story
Ikuru Kuwajima is a freelance photojournalist based in Almaty.